Wednesday, November 4

Daily Rhythms

We have been really trying to stay at home these past few weeks. TO get to know the house, to show the children THIS is where we live, and to MOVE in. It really worked. The days spent here and in the surrounding woods are all one needs.
The day flies by in a constant repetitive safe rhythm, revolving around, breathing in, breathing out, meals and rest times, walks and outside time. It is so satisfying to experience the magic of everyday life, of how simple it can be with children. The simpler, the better.

The days for us start early. Due to the time change a few weeks ago, they all are awake and hungry at 5.30am, and I do my best to keep them sleepy until 6am. Despite the dark (until8am) it is quite cosy. The downside is I get NO time to get myself ready for the day. We eat our porridge by candle light. Our meal verse, the same one we use for all the meals:

Jorden har oss brødet givet,
solen har oss sjenket livet.
Kjære sol, kjære jord,
takken i vårt hjerte bor. (in Danish, from a wonderful Danish Waldorf Kindergarden Teacher.)

Thanking the earth and the sun for the bread.
Will try to find the English equivalent.

Clean up and playing around until I have had my coffee.

During the week, Anders leaves at latest 7am, and we start trying to do some circle games, this periods songs and verses and the story I am telling at the time.
Laundry, washing and brushing hair and such come in-between.
Snack time at around 8.30, since we ate so early.
Then we go outside. Which logistically takes 20 minutes in dressing, and surprise diaper changes and Noa's emptying out the wooden blocks, again.

Walks down the small tractor roads here, using the rope swing some bigger kids made, inspecting sheep pooh, jumping in the creek, picking sticks and leaves for the nature table and nuts, not to forget oak nuts, everywhere. Here I try to collect things for any craft idea I have coming up...

lunch 1, is at 11.30. This is a good sort of snack, warm, and then off Noa and Lea go to sleep, for about an hour and a half.
The days I have Jasmin here with me, we do crafts, painting, washing floors and activities I deem near impossible with two one-year olds running around.
We also rest, read a book, and the only way for me to get a rest too, is too rub her back and relax together.

We have fruit and muesli at 2pm, lunch 2. Repeat songs, do housework they all can help with, and go out again till it is time for making dinner and bathing.
An early start gives a well loved definite 7 o'clock bedtime, without any fuss. Wonderful.

"Bless my pillow,
bless my bed,
bless me too from toes to head.
Bless the earth, the sun, the air.
Bless the children everywhere."

This blessing is just enough ritual and beauty for me, without becoming religious.
Courtesy of Little Acorn Learning.

Then it is time to clean up....

2 comments:

  1. All ære til den som klarer å stå opp frisk og fin så tidlig! Når går du selv til sengs for å klare det?
    Det bordverset har en melodi jeg prøver å huske for den er så fin! Aftenverset har jeg ikke hørt før, men det var så fint at det skal jeg ta i bruk :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about getting lost in blogland... I must have spent an hour in here or so. There's a norwegian equivalent of the bordvers, you might have heard it by now: Jorden nærer lite frø; Solen modner, korn gir brød; Kjære Sol, Kjære Jord; Takk for gaven (evt maten) på vårt bord. And yes, there's a melody to it - my daughter knows it :)I prefer to speak it, though, as the tune is somewhat sad.

    ReplyDelete