Friday, November 27

Advent Inspiration



My mom and the twins reading last weekend.

The coming of the Christmas season has really sparked and spurred the Waldorf approach. Being all about festivals, working with children this way is gratifying, for myself as well. We are going to be home this Christmas, for the first time. And this opens endless possibilities in how we present this festival to our children, as well as to ourselves, as adults.
I am really working towards the home-made version. The stories are emerging, the work with preparing the Nature Table for this coming Sunday, the work with the celebrating Advent as a whole, and how to give gifts that are both ethically and esthetically beautiful to each other. I am using the Winter inspiration book from the KIndergarden package I have from Live Education.
Right now, I am so grateful that we have the resources and possibilities for me to stay home with the children, that we are safe and happy in a warm home, and that this wonderful season is upon us.

Today I plan on finishing the Advent Wreath, which is a common tradition in Norway. With four candles. The Nature Table is getting more and more barren, the little animals have all gone underground. Sunday, the star will appear, and the Nature Garden. One creates a moss garden and everyday one adds something to the garden according the week at hand. The first being mineral (rocks, crystals) the second plant, the third animal, and the last is for the human aspect. Thus the nativity scene will be complete.

Yesterday we did large scale cookie baking. Gingerbread cookies and my grandma traditional chess-squares. Pics to come, just got a wonderful camera in the mail from my dear dad, who is lending it to us til we get our own. Excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment