Friday, April 23

Gardening in the snow

These past weeks have passed in a blur. A little one sick, another cranky. Anders was gone last weekend, and attending a seminar in Oslo this one. I don't mind being alone, I use the time usefully for all kinds of good Waldorf fun, crafts, baking and GARDENING! Yay! Finally, we are stated. The seedlings have sprung out, and until yesterday, I thought we were going to start transferring outside, but then the weather changed.


Lea last week in moments of sun, watering her tray of sunflowers, and sweet-peas.


I am no gardener, nor do I have green fingers, BUT I do believe it is possible to create soemthing out of nothing, despite lack of skill. All you need is time, inspiration, and packets of seeds. Oh, and children help, I admit I would not be so excited without the little helpers, and Root Children stories and wonder of watching things BECOME, all pushing me on. Spending time outside just took on a new meaning. I really recommend a book "Gardening with Young Children" It's one of the Waldorf Early Years books.

I had decided to mainly plant in pots and boxes, as we are only living here temporarily. Then it dawned on me, that we indeed will be here till Christmas, long after the season is over, and any vital strawberry plants I wish to take with us, I just do. Well, here goes then. First stage has been digging out weeded areas that havn't been touched in years. We are going for full kitchen garden herbs, including parsley, rosemary, thyme, peppermint, basel, coriander. After that we got tomatoes, various flowers, sunflowers, radishes, baby salads, argula and maybe potatoes, if I can get the dirt turned in time. Now I just need the snow to melt. Again. And I need to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment